Pages

Zumba classes becoming a popular fitness option in Burlington


By Michelle Edelbaum
Free Press Staff Writer

It's hard to stay still when Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" starts blasting. That energy, and the broad appeal of Latin and world music, pumps up participants in Zumba classes and drives them to get a good workout.

The increasingly popular fitness option is available in at least a half-dozen places in the Burlington area, drawing participants of all ages to dance and sweat.

"It feels more like a dance party than anything else," said instructor Gen Burnell, 27, of Colchester.

Think it sounds fun? Here's a quick primer on the workout:

What is Zumba?

Zumba is Latin dance aerobics, a combination of traditional Latin dance steps (such as salsa, meringue and cumbia) and traditional aerobics moves. A typical class includes fast-paced cardiovascular movements mixed with strength training, interval training and toning. The program was created by celebrity fitness trainer "Beto" Perez in the mid-'90s in Colombia.

What happens in a class?

The hour-long classes begin with a warm-up and slow stretching before the tempo picks up to include low-impact aerobic and dance moves and interval training before closing with stretch training, toning, stretching and a cool down. Zumba Gold classes, designed for beginner exercisers or mature adults, are generally taught to a lower intensity and tempo. Teaching styles and approach vary, but Zumba instructor Deb Matthews, 51, of Shelburne said the class is taught using visual rather than verbal cues, which are typical in an aerobics class.

Who participates?

Area instructors say their class is filled with participants from age 15 to 60, mostly women but some men as well. While dance experience is not required, the workout is popular with people who like to dance. An appreciation for Latin and world music is also helpful.

Music selection

Music ranges from popular hip-hop and pop Latin artists such as Shakira, Daddy Yankee, Sean Paul and Ricky Martin, to more tradition Latin and world music. Selection varies by instructor.

What participants say

"I more than like it, I love it. It's just a fun way to exercise, and I love dancing so it's a great way to get my exercise in without being bored to death. I love Latin music, and there's some international music. ... This is great because it gives you a really good workout, and at the same time, I'm dancing so that makes it pretty special too."

-- Camille Selvagg, 63, of Williston, who, having bypassed her former "boring" exercise routine, has been taking Zumba classes for six months

"It's very fun, and it's not hard to learn. It is challenging in ways that it definitely works your whole body -- you feel it in every movement you do. ... It's good for people who don't like to work out. I hate having to go the gym; it's a big hassle to me. Zumba is a whole body workout that is so much fun, and I look forward to going twice a week."

-- Kristen Ransom, 22, of South Burlington, who was initially hesitant of the class but was quickly won over

What instructors say

"I took my first class, which was free, and I was hooked immediately. I didn't get the moves for a few classes and had to understand what was going on. ... but I had never been the type to be able to stick with a traditional gym routine, although I admire people who can. I would use the treadmill, exercise bike or machines, but I was one of the people who watched the clock. It wasn't enough for me. I heard music I recognized, and the class atmosphere was fun; the music drew me in immediately. It was low key and fun but a serious work out."

-- Gen Burnell, who enjoyed Zumba so much she went on to become a certified instructor

"As someone who loves Latin dancing it really resonated with me. ... Zumba is a blessing. I think it's incredible because I'm a dancer, and I love to dance. You really feel the music, and it's not constructed like typical aerobics class; the emphasis is on enjoying the music and feeling it. If you're doing something having fun and feeling good, you keep doing it. It's a refreshing change to get people to move."

-- Deb Matthews, who also teaches Zumba Gold and classes for parents and children

"All we ask is that you come with open mind and willing heart. We bring people together with music, Latin and world music, and have fun. The fitness kind of sneaks up on you."

-- Matthews

"The hips are key in Zumba, but as long as you keep moving, you can't make a mistake."

-- Burnell

Find classes

Search for local class listings, including Zumba gold and family classes, at www.zumba.com or see the Free Press calendar at www.burlingtonfreepress
.com. For Burnell's classes, visit www.zumbarocksvt.com or call 734-3479. Many instructors offer the first class free.

0 comments: