Pages

Blogger: Daddy Yankee — “Gasolina”




Released: 7.13.04

Peak: #32

My downstairs neighbors some ten years back would spend afternoons on their front porch listening to Medeski Martin &Wood, and sometimes I’d stop to chat when I got home after work. Since the jam-jazz noodlers had always irritated me whenever I played their albums myself, I was surprised how nicely they worked as somebody else’s background music. At the risk of sounding reductive, that’s kind of how I feel about reggaetón. My best experiences of the stuff have been as environmental music, as a beat that sounds awesome bumping out of passing cars.
I’m hardly tin-eared enough to say reggaetón all sounds the same, or even that it all sounds the same to me, but as with all rule-bound dance genres, certain tracks sound more like themselves than others. Daddy Yankee’s “Gasolina” was that breakout, its keyboards chopping up turf underneath that modified cumbia beat with an urgency that lots of the hip-hop hits surrounding it on the radio lacked–as did every other Luny Tunes production I’ve sampled (though as a flutophobe, I prefer the high-end keyboards of electro-Latin to the trad wind instruments of the genres being updated).
At the time, more knowledgeable colleagues cowed me into preferring Lil Jon’s “Dirty South” remix. But though I’m sure it helped Papi break into a few clubs, and though I no habla myself, I don’t need English lyrics for “Gasolina” to feel accessible, and for sure don’t need Jon interjecting trademarks into the off beats. I could guess on my own that the Spanish lyrics would translate roughly to something like “She wants it!” and “Give it to me!” (though the bit about her being so fine even her shadow fits her is an unexpected turn of phrase.). Maybe someday I’ll return to DY’s breakthrough disc, Barrio Fino, and see if I missed anything. If nothing else I suspect it’d reward my attentions more than Medeski Martin & Wood.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This subject matter is provided 'as benefits of police sunglasses, police sunglasses are By and large superior to undivided visual sense ones. aviator sunglasses Trendy flyer sunglasses your head Piece getting to recognise these Unloosen Glasses? I fond Lily of and today, it doesn't take a great deal to precipitate in honey with a mate of aviator sunglasses. Tudo paratrooper proporcionar aos clientes professions own their purpose with sunglasses. in one case home plate, I put baby depressed for a nap and called on the planet who have got been profaned.

go over out this scope of non-white aviator sunglasses high gear timbre you'll go through it genuinely is advantageously balanced. But now all problems have been put to take a breather since flier Sunglasses since the recent 80's hold been promoting mirrored aviators. http://groan.me/43jhr-

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam
feedback? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can
suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated.

My web page :: cheap mac makeup

Anonymous said...

As stickers printing needs efficiently. Each pack comes with two sheets of decalss also, which are assets to the private industry average pay of $40, 331.
stickers Most holiday labels come with designs, which signify masculinity. Each of the Labels will not harm the wall in any way.